University of Graz
The University of Graz is the second oldest university in Austria and one of the largest, with a main "campus" in the center of Graz and buildings scattered throughout the surrounding areas. A comprehensive university with a strong international profile, the University of Graz has a student population of over 32,000, and international students benefit from strong administrative and academic support on all Ievels. In this program you will study and live as an Austrian Student, immersing yourself in the culture and attending classes alongside Austrian students as well as students from many other countries.
Graz, capital of the Austrian state of Styria and a UNESCO World Heritage site, is a charming student town in the heart of Europe with a population of approximately 300.000 inhabitants. Graz's cultural scene is strongly influenced by the almost 50,000 students who come to live and learn at one Graz's six universities.
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Spring only
- SU required course load: 12-19 credits for undergraduate students
- Courses offered in English and German
- Two years of college-level German required for courses taught in German (B2 level).
Spring Semester: early or mid-February to late June/early July
A selection of courses from various departments is taught in English. The equivalent of two years of college German (B2 level) is required for students who want to take courses in German. Intensive German language courses are offered for 3 weeks at the beginning of the semester and are mandatory for students without German language proficiency. Registration takes place upon arrival. Courses are typically worth 1.5 to 2 SU credits each and you must be registered for at least 12 SU credits. Courses and grades will be posted to your academic record and factored into your overall GPA at SU.
For a list of courses pre-approved for SU credit, please click on the "Courses Offered" link at the top of this page. There is no guarantee courses on the list will be offered during your semester abroad, so please refer to the World Partner website for the most up-to-date course offerings. If you want to take a course that is not already approved, SU Abroad will assist in obtaining approval from the appropriate SU academic department.
Students live in student dorms in shared apartments with cooking facilities. Housing is arranged by the International Relations Office. Students may sign up for the "buddy program" to be matched with an Austrian student who will pick them up upon arrival and help them settle in.
You will pay SU tuition and can apply all SU financial aid except work study. Besides tuition, you will also be charged a $525 program fee which covers pre-departure meetings and international travel insurance. Housing is billed directly from UG. For further explanation of estimated costs, please see the financial planning budget here: Graz Austria Budget 2015-2016.pdf.
Cara Hardy, Counselor, email@example.com
University of Graz (to be completed after approval and nomination from Syracuse Abroad)
Applying to this program requires both the Syracuse Abroad and University of Graz applications.
- After SU nominates you, you will receive an email from the University of Graz with a code and instructions for completing the online application.
- Complete the University of Graz online application. Completed application form and study confirmation need to be printed off from online system, signed and together with all necessary documents sent to via surface mail in time for them to arrive in the office before the deadlines (May 1 for fall semester and October 1 for spring semester).
- Follow instructions from U Graz for supplemental documents.